Grand Designers and Home Refurbishers – Is your home the right kind of HAPPI? [No, that isn’t a spelling mistake]
HAPPI is is a design code of 10 principles for a healthy, social and comfortable home life.
HAPPI homes have plenty of light and space with a focus on healthy homes. They also integrate accessible age friendly design features like bathrooms with walk-in, curb free showers. Although the HAPPI reports are primarily focussed on the shared living environments like retirement communities, most of the principles hold true to individual homes too:
- Space and flexibility
- Daylight in the home (and in shared spaces)
- Balconies and / or outdoor space
- Adaptability and ‘care ready’ design
- Positive use of circulation space
- Plants, trees, and the natural environment
- Energy efficiency and sustainable design
- Storage for belongings and bicycles
- (External shared surfaces and ‘home zones’ – for communal living)
- (Shared facilities and ‘hubs’ – for communal living)
To learn more, visit the HousingLiN’s HAPPI homes pages.