The Value of OT – to you and your loved ones

Our homes have a big part to play in staying independent as we age.  If you need these changes because of an illness, degenerative condition or accident you likely need some additional specialist input – so who else should you go to? An O.T. (Occupational Therapist) will help you align your aspirations and abilities with your environment by undertaking an assessment of you  – that is what they specialise in.  The value of OT – to you and your loved ones should not be underestimated.

And with the Royal College of Occupational Therapists‘ mantra of #LiveNotExist; you get a sense for how passionate the profession is to make a difference to people’s lives.

Older man and occupational therapist consulting a report together.
Consulting the right professional at the right time is crucial to ensuring independence for longer in later life.

Make the little changes first, engage the right professionals at the right time for the rest

Throughout this site you will find a number of top tips and little adjustments that you can do yourself. You can do these either for yourself or for (and with the consent of) a loved one. The sooner you do these adjustments, the lower cost and less traumatic those changes will be. With our range of services, we can help you identify how Age-Friendly your home is. We can also help you come up with a good plan to make the little adjustments.  And then, if you want a design review or need the bigger adaptations, we can help too.

The Occupational Therapist has a unique set of skills to help retain independence

An Occupational Therapist can bring huge value to the process and you are likely to meet one at some point in your life journey. To find out more about the work of an OT watch this video on the NHS website.

  • You might come across an NHS OT during a stay in hospital or if you have injured yourself and they will provide you with some equipment to help you get back on your feet at home.
  • You might come across a Community OT, working for the Local Authority (or their delivery partners). They will assess for any aids or adaptations that you might need, including the larger projects like a walk-in shower.
  • Everyone is eligible for an assessment by the OT Service. But not everyone is eligible for funding from the council for the resultant adaptations – these are means-tested. 
  • There are also private OTs that can help you to get the help and advice you need, if you don’t want to wait for the state-funded OT availability.  Contact us if you would like us to put you in touch with a local private OT in your area. or 0800 44 88 248

or visit: 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.